● Local application of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) was found efficacious in the recovery of the facial nerve crush injury in rabbits.
● Electrophysiologic studies can be used in animal model of facial injury.
● IGF-1 may be applied for treatment of facial paralysis.
● Mouse nerve growth factor (mNGF) treatment attenuated hearing loss of experimental mice.
● Outer hair cell and spiral ganglion neuron were preserved by the treatment.
● The treatment inhibited caspase-3 expression in the inner ears of mice.
● mNGF has the protective effects of the cochleae.
Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) and substance P (SP) were strongly stained in the ceruminous glands.
Myoepithelial cells of the ceruminous gland were most intensely immunostained for both SP and CGRP.
These peptides may participate in the regulation of secretion of ceruminous gland components.
Korean Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
103-307 Park Tower officetel, Yongsan-dong 5-ga, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 04385, Korea
TEL: +82-2-711-9091 FAX: +82-2-3487-6603 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org